Just a reminder that we’ll be sailing on the north side of the Causeway Lake.
We plan to run competency testing for our new skippers. This is a requirement of Sailability Qld.
You can find a checklist to download on this training manuals page.
Lots of stuff is happening in the background. Here’s a brief rundown so we are all up to date.
- Council is giving serious consideration to a storage shed on the south side. They will be getting back to us in a few weeks. Bernie and┬áSteve spoke to the mayor who is supportive.
- Paul C┬áis looking at plans for a shed in conjunction with the outriggers.
- Catherine is putting together welcome letters and then moving on to training manuals.
- Steve’s been playing with the email and has set up a web site.
- Teresa is blitzing the media, another article in the Mirror this week. All these articles are producing new volunteers and sailors.
- Lion2 Rubber Ducky
- Kerry is sourcing uniforms and investigating┬ágrants for them.
- Bob Auld has put together a PowerPoint presentation which we’ll try to put online.
- Steve P has offered to make a┬ávideo. He’ll be back next week.
- Paul F is keeping track of media releases and scanning them for use on the web site.
As I said, lots happening but there are plenty more jobs going begging. If anyone can lend a hand with any of the following please get in touch.
- Basic maintenance on the boats. Bernie tries to fit this in among his many other duties and I know he would appreciate a helping hand.
- Now the volunteer base is starting to expand we need to contact disabled organisations to find some more sailors. Probably just a few phone calls to the right people.
- The council has promised to get back to us soon about a storage shed. When we get the go ahead we are going to need to source some funding. There are many opportunities for funding but we need to actually make applications before we have a chance! Help would be greatly appreciated.
Don’t forget the next Sail Day is on the 18th May.
Thanks to Teresa we have yet another article in the Mirror. These are really helping our profile in the community.
If you haven’t seen a copy of this week’s Mirror click the link below.
Capricorn Coast Mirror Article 5th May 2010
An amazing turn out of volunteers, 18 of us had a pleasant morning on the water. Including 3 people who turned up on the day. Thanks Vicki, Wendy and Dave.
Most volunteers had a sail and a turn on the rescue boat as well as lessons on rigging the dinghies.
We only had 2 disabled sailors, which gave us plenty of time for volunteer orientation,┬á but we have 7 girls already booked in for the 18th. Hopefully more on the day.
Thanks again to everyone.
This brand new web site is pretty basic at the moment but will get expanded as soon as I figure out how.
If you have any images or video that you’d like to see here let me know and we’ll see if between us we can upload them somewhere. A gallery or something.
I’ve based this web site on a WordPress blog. If anyone has any experience with these, or knows someone who does, don’t be backward in coming forward